When my son makes a decision he sticks to it. The past two Halloween’s I asked him to pick a costume in August and he stuck to that choice. For TWO months.
Oh, did I mention he is three?
His birthday is next month, March, so in December I mentioned that we needed to start thinking about a theme for his birthday party.
Without hesitation he asked for a Skeleton Birthday party.
We were in the car with my husband and we were talking about it and this is what was said:
Hubby: do you want a Dia de Muertos party?
Ian: No dad. A skeleton party.
Hubby: I know but a Dia de Muertos party has skeletons…
Ian: No Dad! a skeleton party because skeletons are my favorite. Skeletons, turtles and seals are my favorites.
So I started planning a skeleton party. For about a week. Until we got a catalog with party supplies in the mail.
Ian looked through it for a few days. He kept talking about who was going to have what party. He then said “This boy is gonna have a pirate birfday party” while pointing to his chest.
After some discussion we decided to have a pirate party instead of a skeleton party. There was still almost three months to plan.
He has not changed his mind, but he has picked out his next five party themes.
I wanted to make him a shirt for his birthday party. My Silhouette Cameo has the ability to cut heat transfer material to iron on clothes.
I designed a shirt with a skull and crossbones wearing a birthday party hat and the words “Birthday Pirate” instead of ‘Birthday Boy’
It was going to be a surprise but when the only time you have to work on something is when the kids are home nothing is a surprise. Everyday he asked where his skeleton shirt was and if he could wear it.
I was finally able to say yes, and he was so excited. Only about 2 months before his party.
You can read about the process in a three part series starting here.
Want to Check Out More Silhouette Projects?
My Silhouette Challenge buddies and I are all sharing projects on our blogs, so pursue the projects below for a wealth of Silhouette inspiration!
- DIY Screen Printed Curtains by Chicken Scratch NY
- “Cute as Cupid” shirt by crafts, cakes, and cats
- Easy Easter Bunny Onesie – Silhouette Cameo Craft by Adventures in All Things Food & Family
- Hearts-A-Lot Burlap Pillow Cover by My Paper Craze
- DIY Monogrammed T-shirts with Silhouette Heat Transfer Material by Pitter and Glink
- Sew Cute Applique by Life After Laundry
- Machine Applique with SIlhouette Cameo by The Sensory Emporium
- Mommy and Em’s Coordinated Aprons by TitiCrafty
- Valentine’s OWL Always Love You T-shirt by My Favorite Finds
- Teddy Bear by Work in Progress
- Fabric Envelopes for LEARNING LETTERS! (& cut file) by From Wine to Whine
- Upcycled Birchbox Cameo Accesory Organizer by Cupcakes&Crowbars
- No-Sew Valentine’s Day Pillows by A Tossed Salad Life
- Nerdy Baby Onesies + Free Cut File by Essentially Eclectic
- Lady Bug Tote Bag with Silhouette Rhinestones by Ginger Snap Crafts
- Valentines Baby Onesie & Boy’s Shirt + Free Cut Files by The Frill of Life
- Easy Fabric Art by McCall Manor
- Easy Heart Appliqued Onsies by Create & Babble
- DIY Bleach Spray Shirt by Practically Functional
- Felt Star Wands by Cutesy Crafts
- Baby Quilt by Dragonfly & Lily Pads
- Canvas sketch project and a share by Clever Someday
- Glitter Iron-On Top by Simply Kelly Designs
- Crawl, Walk, Bike by It’s Always Craft Time
- Stenciling Sherlock by Please Excuse My Craftermath…
- Monogrammed Burlap Garden Flag by The Turquoise Home
- “Team Betty” Tote Bag by The Thinking Closet
- Customizing textiles with Heat Transfer Vinyl (working title) by feto soap
- Foxy Lady Pajamas by Mabey She Made It
- Rhino Onesie by It Happens in a Blink
- Surprise Holiday Banner by Whats Next Ma
- No-Sew Interchangeable Fabric Bunting by unOriginal Mom
- Freezer Paper Stenciled Tote Bags by Weekend Craft
- Fabric Applique Valentine’s Day T-Shirt by DailyDwelling
- Pretty Up Some Organza Bags by Getsilvered
- Birthday Challenge by Fadville
- Yoda Kid’s T-Shirt by Architecture of a Mom
- DIY Sock Minion by Create it. Go!
- Big Sister Gift & Silhouette Cut File by Creative Ramblings
- Bleach Pen Gel & Freezer Paper Stencils Made with the Silhouette Machine by Bringing Creativity 2 Life
- Fabric Painted Quilted Wall Hanging by Terri Johnson Creates
- Nautical Pillows by Lil’ Mrs. Tori
- Mark Your Territory- Dog Flags by Black and White Obsession
- “Good Morning, Sunshine!” Memo Board by Tried & True